1. Space equals money. 1m² can be worth over £2,500 in Teignbridge. Declutter; if a buyer perceives a property as larger, they may be prepared to pay more.
2. First impressions count. Make the best of the approach, entrance and exterior of your home. Buyers may do a drive-by prior to booking viewings. Creating a positive impression will lead to more viewings.
3. Demonstrate that you are a committed seller. Display a For Sale board and accommodate viewings from good buyers, even at short notice when possible. This creates the maximum number of sales opportunities.
4. Presentation is important. It may not be possible to immaculately present a home at all times, but do everything practical to make sure your home stands out. Insist that your agent presents your property in the best possible light, with high-profile internet listings, quality sales particulars, high quality photography, virtual tours and drone photography. You should not expect to pay extra for these.
5. Line up an experienced local solicitor. This will speed up the process when you agree a sale. Avoid using conveyancers who pay large introduction fees, as this can affect the service you receive.
6. Start your search for a new home early. Having a property to purchase can in some instances make the difference between selling and not selling. It can also assist in facilitating a smooth transaction.
7. Look at the big picture. It is important to sell at the best possible price. In an uncertain market however, take all offers seriously. Sometimes, showing flexibility when selling can lead to securing a fabulous property on advantageous terms.
8. Check the performance of your agent. Coast and Country listed more properties and agreed more sales than any other agent in the TQ12 postcode during 2023. Source: leading property portal statistics obtained 27.11.2023. Experience and market share are key to getting the best results in uncertain market conditions.
9. Read and understand an agent’s marketing agreement. Ask questions if necessary. Do not sign unless you are comfortable with all the conditions, costs and particularly the term length of the agreement. Make sure that your agent provides you with a copy of any agreement you have signed. Remember that if you sign an agreement at an agent’s office, this changes the terms and you may lose your right to change your mind. Check there are no hidden costs or withdrawal fees.
10. Choose an agent who only charges if they sell your property. If you pay up front; you may end up out of pocket or unsold and your agent will have little incentive to work hard for you. Check that agents do not charge withdrawal fees or for extras available elsewhere at no cost. Coast and Country offer NO SALE, NO COST agreements. We do not charge for EPCs, floor plans, photography or enhanced listings; they are all included.