1. Space equals money. 1m² can be worth over £2500 in Teignbridge. Declutter; if a buyer perceives a property as larger, they may be prepared to pay more.
2. Complete unfinished DIY and repairs. If these are left undone, buyers may make lower offers. Surveyors pick up on small things, leading to less positive reports.
3. First impressions count. Make the best of the approach, entrance and exterior of your home. Buyers may do a drive-by prior to booking viewings. Creating a positive impression will lead to more viewings.
4. In a fast-moving market where many properties are breaking ceiling prices, a fixed price may be inappropriate. A “guide price” is likely to attract the best buyers and achieve a sale at full market value. Ensure your estate agent has the experience and local knowledge to advise on this and backs up their advice with hard evidence of their success.
5. Demonstrate that you are a committed seller. Display a For Sale board and accommodate viewings from good buyers, even at short notice when possible. This creates the maximum number of sales opportunities.
6. Presentation is important. It may not be possible to immaculately present a home at all times, but do everything practical to make your home stands out. Insist that your agent presents your property in the best possible light, with high-profile internet listings, extensive advertising, quality sales particulars, pro photography and quality virtual tours. You should not expect to pay extra for these.
7. Line up an experienced local solicitor as soon as possible. This will speed up the process when you agree a sale. Avoid using conveyancers who pay large introduction fees, as this can affect the service you receive.
8. Speak to an independent mortgage adviser at an early stage. You need to know how much you can spend. New mortgage rates can be surprisingly low.
9. Start your search for a new home early. Having a property to purchase can in some instances make the difference between selling and not selling. It can also assist in facilitating a smooth transaction.
10. Look at the big picture. Although it’s important to sell at the best possible price, considering the price and benefits of the home you want to buy may have a bearing on your decisions on offers. Sometimes showing flexibility when selling can lead to securing a fabulous property on advantageous terms.
11. Insist your estate agent has the experience and resources to do the job you are paying them for, i.e. that they advertise your property across all media and have a proactive sales team directly promoting your property to real buyers. Make sure trained staff are available to conduct viewings, that they feed back to you promptly and that these staff are skilled at encouraging offers. Check that your agent has the expertise and contacts to progress your sale to completion, because a sale is not a sale until the money is in the bank.
12. Make your transaction as safe as possible while COVID persists. Wear a face mask, ventilate, social distance and, where possible, go out while your agent conducts viewings. Ensure that your agent takes COVID seriously and implements sensible precautions as circumstances change.
13. Check your agent's results. Coast and Country listed more properties and agreed more sales than any other agent in the TQ12 postcode during 2021. Source: leading property portal statistics obtained 05.01.2022.
14. Read and understand an agent’s marketing agreement and ask questions if necessary. Do not sign unless you are comfortable with the conditions, costs and particularly the term length of the agreement. Make sure that your agent provides you with a copy of any agreement you have signed. Remember that if you sign an agreement at an agent’s office, this changes the terms and you may lose your right to change your mind.
15. Choose an agent who only charges if they sell your property. Do not pay up front; you may end up out of pocket and unsold. Check that agents do not charge withdrawal fees or for extras available elsewhere at no cost. Coast and Country offer NO SALE, NO COST agreements. We do not charge for EPCs, floor plans, photography or enhanced listings; they are all included.